Eating Healthy on a Budget

Wednesday 2 April 2014


So while I'm a big advocate of putting your health as a priority. I've also just graduated from university and want to share how I managed to keep with my tight budget.

1. SET A BUDGET
and break the budget down into categories. For example, I used to set $50/wk. I'd break this down to $20 fruit, $20 veg and $10 other (coconut water, tahini, tamari, buckwheat etc.). Try as hard as you can to stick within the budget, because I often find you will cater for more than you need.

2. SHOP AROUND
When trying to buy predominantly organic, most of my fruit and veg comes from markets. However, I shop online at woolies for a lot of that "other" category as well as the organic frozen fruit they offer. Don't be afraid to hit up iHerb for items like chia seeds or apple cider vinegar. Speaking of organic, if you must, consider the "clean fifteen". Though try and keep everything organic if you can.

3. PLAN YOUR MEALS
While I love planning out my meals anyway, it's a really great tool to make sure you don't over purchase. Include quantities in your planning and try to use produce across meals. E.g. 1/2 a capsicum in your salad for lunch and the same in a stir-fry for dinner. 

4. INCREASE YOUR GRAIN INTAKE
While it's good to get as much organic fruit and veg in as you can, buckwheat and lentils costs $3 for about 6 meals. Increase your greens (for nutrients) and your grains (for lower costs) and maybe leave out some fruit from your basket if you're struggling. You can pad out your lunches with left over grains from the night before.

5. FREEZE YOUR PRODUCE
Despite having a strict plan and budget, I often have excess quantities of greens. Don't be afraid to blend these up with a little bit of water and stick them in ice cubes for smoothies in the future.

6. BLEND YOUR EXCESS
If you have produce that's going off and no space in the freezer. Don't be afraid to add a few different things in your smoothie or soup. Cucumber, celery, beetroot, sweet potato and many more items can make a fun new ingredient to add to either your smoothie and or a soup.

7. GROW YOUR OWN
Things such as kale, baby spinach and herbs are expensive to buy organic yet don't take up much space in your garden. Try your hand at a mini veg patch.

So I hope that helps you lovely people! Let me know what your top budget tip is! I'd love to hear :)

xx GBV


No comments:

Post a Comment