How Green am I?

Sunday 16 February 2014


So to kick off my first real post I thought I'd give an explanation to where I sit on the green spectrum in both regards to my beauty routine and diet.

BEAUTY:

For my everyday products I look for a low hazard rating (0-2) on Skindeep. However, I am a bit more lenient with my sometimes products (e.g. Full coverage foundation) at the moment, allowing some of them to reach the moderate hazard rating (3-6). I am on the path to eventually culling those out.


Having said that, there are some ingredients I simply do not use: parabens, synthetic fragrances and mineral oil. And I also avoid products containing chemical exfoliants when I will be exposed to the sun in any way.

I seek out products that are natural and preferably organic, however this may not always be the case.

DIET:

Sometimes my ideal diet and my actual diet will differ greatly (predominantly when I'm out with friends). However, I like to follow closely to the rules of the Eat to Live Diet and aim to:

Eat Raw till 4:
- A smoothie in the morning with 2 cups of greens and 2 cups of fruit
- A big salad (3 cups) for lunch with a fruit dressing
- Snack on fruit throughout the day
- 1/2 cup of quinoa, buckwheat or brown rice for dinner
or
-1 cup of sweet potato, red potato and pumpkin
- and 2 cups of steamed or stir-fry veggies for dinner

Drink Plenty of Water:
We're talking 3L a day people and preferably filtered

Avoid Animal products where possible:
There has been research finding a direct correlation between the amount of animal protein consumed in a population and that population's incidence of cancer and heart attacks. So I also try to avoid meat (including lean), eggs and dairy.

Avoid gluten where possible:
Again the effects of wheat on the denigration of our body have been found in regards to heart disease, obesity, addictions and ageing. Check out the Wheat Belly Diet if you want to know more.

I find that when I'm well behaved and stick to my diet guidelines my skin is in a lot better condition and my energy levels are elevated :)


So there you have it! Let me know what rules you follow in your green lifestyle and don't forget to follow me at bloglovin! My next post will be on Wednesday showing you an example of what I eat in a day :)

xx GBV

No comments:

Post a Comment